Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This Day Only

Yesterday morning we drove to work after freezing rain overnight. Our end of the community had salted roads and so we thought we were good to go. Not. We made it okay but it was tense. I am grateful to work with a great bunch of people.....one of them came into work early in case I wasn't going to make it in to answer phones, etc. Her job has nothing to do with answering phones but she was willing to fill my shoes just in case.

I'm sitting in front of my SAD light as I type. Today is my last day of work for the week. I may even get the Christmas tree taken down on this round of day's off. Anyway, I just have these 24 hours to live in. Several weeks ago I changed my screen saver to the quote below and I go into my day with that on my mind. I came into 12 step programs through Al-Anon and Just for Today opened up a whole new way of thinking for me.

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do - just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won't find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you have written here means so much to me. Thanks, Hope for giving me more hope!

Secretia

Owen said...

What a difference (just) a day makes.

Kathy M. said...

Hope,

I love the Just for Todays. When I first heard them, I thought if I did nothing else but follow these simple suggestions, I would lead a very good life.

Daisy said...

Definitely good advice but I could only handle the first "Just for today..."

Glad you got to your destination safe and sound.

Mich

One Prayer Girl said...

I love all your "Just for today" statements.

PG

Peter said...

Sounds like a plan, Hopester.

Heidi Renee said...

love it! have printed it out and will make it mine JUST FOR TODAY ;]

Enchanted Oak said...

I've always loved the Abraham Lincoln quote: Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. It's a moment by moment choice, to see things as good, as having positive effects. Sometimes we forget how much power of choice we have in our inner state. Recovery is the way we learn how to choose. Cheers! Chris A

Unknown said...

Wow, these statements are amazing and so eloquently stated.
I am glad you got to your work and made it safely too! Driving in rain, snow, ice...not fun!

Please know your blog is so incredibly inspiring to me, I always learn something when I visit....thank you!

<3 Gabi