Thursday, June 11, 2009

Of Belly Buttons And Thanksgiving

The two tops hits I get on my blog are for
a poem by Ted Loder called
Thank You For Each Moment.

and for belly button birthdays.

Both seem appropriate to repost today.
Tomorrow is my belly button birthday and I'll be turning 47.
I am grateful for every year I get on this earth.
I was born way too early in a time where preemie babies rarely made it.
Every day is a gift.
So it seems a good time to reprint the original poem by Ted Loder:

Lord, thank you for each moment,
for the blue-sky moment,
the softening earth,
the refreshing wind,
the yellow bush,
for my full heart
and the joy rising in me.

Soften me
to receive whatever comes as a gift
and to praise you in it
.

Lord, thank you for each moment
for the twilight moment,
the pause,
the good tired,
for the quiet reflection,
the slowing down,
the mysterious sunset,
for the wisdom growing inside me.

Gentle me
to feel whatever comes as a gift
and to praise you in it
.

Lord, thank you for each moment,
for the midnight moment,
the loneliness,
the fretful wondering,
for the watchful stars,
the long ache,
the sleepless wait,
and the hope straining in me.

Focus me
to see whatever comes as a gift
and to praise you in it
.

Lord, thank you for each moment,
for the high-noon moment,
the job,
the necessary routine,
for the sweaty struggle,
the impulse to change,
and the courage gathering in me.

Ground me
to wrestle with whatever comes as a gift
and to praise you in it
.

Lord, thank you for each moment,
for the shared moment,
the listening,
the unguarded word,
for the fragile openness,
the ready smile,
the accepted difference,
for my passionate heart
and the trust rooting in me.

Stretch me
to grow with whatever comes as a gift
and to praise you in it
.

Thank you for each moment,
for the charged moment,
the confrontation,
for the hard decision,
the unexpected growing,
for my intense heart
and the truth expanding in me.

Free me
to be open to whatever comes as a gift
and to praise you in it
.

Thank you for each moment,
for the holy moment,
the music,
the child's eyes,
for the sunlight,
the touch,
the tears,
for the trembling pleasure,
the unutterable beauty,
for the life and love and heart in me aware,
and the wholeness spreading in me.

Touch me
through whatever comes as a gift
That I may be grateful
and praise you in it
.

~from Guerrillas of Grace by Ted Loder


8 comments:

the Mom said...

Happy almost Birthday!

Wait. What? said...

Happy early birthday to you!

Just Be Real said...

These were great Hope! Appreciate you sharing....also soon to be Happy Birthday wishes to you!

Peter said...

I think sometimes we need to pray to be hardened to be able to withstand the gift, too. Blessed birthday, Hopester.

Daisy said...

Really good thoughts, Hope. Thank you for them. I know 4 good people whose birthday is tomorrow including you, amigo. I'll most definitely be thinking of you.

Mich

Heidi Renee said...

how did i miss that calendar event? you must not have your bday on fb?

i prepared last year at least a month in advance... gift will be belated, sorry.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOPE!

God knows I don't even have the words to express my prayers for your these days - the groaning does speak of hope and peace and life, dear God, life, even more abundantly. Much, much love.

annie said...

Amen to the poem

and

Happy Birthday, friend Hope!!

Mary (MPJ) said...

A belated happy birthday to you! (I've had this up on my computer since your actual birthday, but it's taken me this long to comment. Summer is hard!)