Friday, October 10, 2008

The Whole Fam Damily

Oh, lovely northern weather. It's trying it's darndest to snow out there. There are enough breaks in the clouds thankfully that it won't amount to anything, won't even accumulate on the ground. But it is a taste of what is to come. Unfortunately snow could come to stay any day now.

Dearest one and youngest son will be away at a men's retreat until Monday evening. I used to love being alone for days at a time. And while I still like solitude I don't like being alone at night. By tomorrow I'll be glad that oldest son is coming out for a few hours. Speaking of oldest son, he hurt his shoulder this week at work. This is where my kids inheriting the connective tissue disorder really sucks. Having it makes healing that much longer of a process and injury that much easier to happen. I hurt my shoulder eight years ago simply by pumping my arms too vigourously power walking. It still gives me grief. Anyway, prayers this weekend for all these men in my life would be appreciated. Thanks.

My kids and dearest one love to tease me about being "flat surface challenged." That means I pile stuff on any flat surface around me, from the floor to the desk top. My goal this weekend is too see a little more of both floors and desk tops and a little less of paper and clutter. This morning, in the frantic rush to get out the door, the car keys were no where to be found. Youngest son immediately pointed fingers my way. As in, how could we find anything with all the flat surfaces covered? Ha. My keys were hanging up on the key rack.(amazingly enough) Dearest one's were in the car where he left them last night. I rest my (sometimes hopeless) case.

I found myself trying to micromanage dearest one's life all last evening and this morning. Finally this morning dearest one stopped and just laughed and laughed at my behaviour. I looked at him and said, "I know, I'm going backwards fast." He laughed all the harder, gave me a kiss and reminded me he manages his professional life just fine on his own, even without a secretary. We both agreed that neither of us misses the old me, the one who spent all her spoons trying to micromanage the whole fam damily. The good news in it all is that I could admit it, and we could both laugh at it, and I could give up and let go. Well, it helps that he's away until Monday night. It's much harder to try and micromanage someone's life who isn't even home although I must confess I've tried that, too.

Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Mary Christine said...

Have a wonderful solitude weekend. We are expecting snow here too. Love the first snow of the season!

Anonymous said...

I am also flat surface challenged!