Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Spoonful of Medicine

So much for having a next right thing kind of day.
I was listening to the radio and heard someone request this song and thought to myself, someone is sucking up big time.
Having that response, instead of thinking about
what a nice song it was, jarred me and helped me
realize that I was having
a rather cynical kind of day.
Not good.
Cynical used to be my modus operandi.
I don't miss it.
Not one bit.
Doing the next right thing
is a good antidote for cynicism.
Hmmm.

I've been avoiding cleaning the kitchen all day
which was the next right thing since I opened my eyes this morning.
Instead I went for a walk.
I read my daily reading books.
I journalled.
I wrote out the questions from page 86 of the Big Book
so I can answer them tonight.
I sat in contemplative prayer for nearly the whole 20 minutes.
I took this test to satisfy only daughter's curiousity.
For the record my main colour is gold.
What's yours?

Now I'm off to wash dishes and clean the kitchen.
The energy I've expended today avoiding doing that makes me think of M. Scott Peck's book The Road Less Traveled. In it he talks about avoiding doing the thing that is taking up the most energy in our head and how if we only did that at the beginning of the day we'd free up energy for other things.
Sometimes I sabotage my very own spoon supply.
Come hell or high water I'm going to have
a clean kitchen before I go to bed tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My color is blue...

I to be able to keep up with your life. I am so proud of you.

Love
Gracie

Peter said...

Blue here.

Hope said...

Gracie - woman - I would so love to give you a hug. Thank you for reading here so faithfully. My favourite people all seem to be blue.

Pete - blue - that is what dearest one and only daughter are, too.
I saw that I was gold but longed to be blue. When dearest one was done taking the test last night I asked him to guess which one I was. He looked at them all and said, in a tone I have yet to be able to describe, "you're probably a gold".

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am a blue, but we would live in a colorless place without the Gold's and the golden hue that they infuse into our world. I'm grateful you are who you are.
d.o.