Thursday, December 10, 2009

Kissing The Ground

Of course I'd think of something to say in the middle of the night.

Dearest one is happily sleeping with the puglies curled around him. They are warm bits of comfort on a cold night. They like to curl up behind our knees or wiggle their way right in between the two of us as we sleep.

Yesterday morning, as I was putting my backpack into the car, my ankle kissed the ground and I heard a popping sound. I'm sure the noise I made could be heard right up to the stars. Ouch. By the time we got to town part of my foot was feeling numb, but when I got out of the car I could walk without pain, so I went to work instead of going to the health clinic that is next door to my office.

Dearest one called me about lunch time and chided me somewhat about not getting my ankle checked out. I said something along the lines of "oh, all right" and walked without nary a limp, over to the clinic. My thoughts were along the lines of "what a waste of my lunch hour this was going to be". To his credit, dearest one did not gloat when the doctor told me I'd damaged one of the ligaments and should take a few days off of work.

Having this connective tissue disorder means my tissues take much longer to heal. The doctor gave me the option of visiting the cast room at the hospital for either a removeable boot for stability, or a cast. Off I went for a removeable boot. The cast room is right next to the day surgery and the outpatient department. I sat there keenly aware that my minor injury was really just a blip on the radar screen, while other people were going to get wretched, wretched news today about the state of their health.

The pain caught up to me by the time we got home so I was in bed before 8:30 tonight, totally exhausted. You know I am tired when I turn off the TV and miss the rest of this sport during the Olympic pre-trials.I apologized to the women on the screen and went to bed.

I've been awake for a few hours now. Writing here in the middle of the night is akin to deleting the cache on the computer. For me, it makes room for sleep.

Good night.

9 comments:

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I hope you rested well and that the pain dissipates quickly and that this time of rest is spiritually productive :)

Enchanted Oak said...

Just popped in first thing this morning to say hello and found you wide awake in the wee hours, writing about your day, and your gratitude too. You point out that our woes are a mere blimp on the radar while others are getting wretched news... and I loved it. I complained about all the work I have to do, until I met a woman who was out of work. Like the proverb, I complained about my shoes until I met a man who had no feet. Anything that helps me get grateful is a welcome moment in my life. You helped me be grateful this morning. Hope (hah!) your ankle gets well soon. Hugs....

Unknown said...

Writing does clear the cache does it not!

I am so sorry to hear of the torn ligaments and grateful that you were willing to see the dr. and have it taken care of...

I hope that you rest with puggly wugglies...they will help you to heal for sure!!!

Your gratitude is gracious and infectious!
thank you
gabi

Rebecca Frech said...

I'm sorry about the aches and pains. I hope you feel better soon.

I write whole blog posts in my head as I lay in bed. Unfortunately, I forget most of hem by the time I get downstairs to the computer.

daisymarie said...

Owie! I'm so glad you listened to your beloved. Heal well. I really like the image of writing making room for sleep.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

just found this blog and read about hope being your favorite word. I love that. Hope is huge...without it...we lose. Be well ok. Sarah

Jim said...

My oldest daughter mis-stepped a few months ago while hiking down in southeastern Kentucky and had to wear one of those ankle boots for several weeks (plus some minor surgery involving some sort of welding her ankle bone together). Hope your situation heals more quickly.......

Kayce aka lucy said...

that last line is priceless and one i can totally relate to! clearing the cache for sleep and other things!!

happy healing!! xxoxo

Tall Kay said...

Sending you get well wishes. Aren't you glad you listened to Dearest One? Your gratitude is always inspiring!