Friday, October 15, 2010

Wondering

"I never believed you when you said alcoholics don't sip their drinks."

Only daughter and I had just come from my home group AA meeting. As a result of what she'd heard in that meeting she believed me now. (And there may be some alcoholics who are able to sip their drinks. I never could.)Because it was an open meeting and she hadn't been to one since she was a young child, I asked if she wanted to come with me. It was a good meeting. They aren't always. Some meetings seem deeper and fuller than others. If that makes sense. It does to me.

"Raw honesty. That's what stood out for me," she added.

I wonder if I take for granted what only daughter saw as incredible?

PS. I wrote this post way back in the summer and forgot about it. The photo is for only daughter. For once she woke up to the first snow of the season today while we...cough....cough...um, didn't. That may never happen again.

4 comments:

CiCi said...

Raw honesty. How I wish it were in every life for everyone, not just here and there in recovery meetings.
Hope you enjoyed your late morning and that there are many more.

Pru said...

Haha! Our first snow lasted all of (maybe) an hour...yours will stay longer than that, I'm sure. But I liked the picture.

It was a good experience, going to that meeting with you. It made me wonder what AlAnon would be like...what bits of honesty would poke out at me and show me things in my own life that I just take for granted.

Christine said...

I remember my first 12 step meeting, held in a local church, chairs in a circle, I wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into. I left understanding something I didn't before I went. I left with a peice of pain everyone in the world carries.

Rebecca Frech said...

What a gift for both of you to be able to understand each other a bit better.

The snow is lovely. Can you send some our way?