Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fertilized

"The trick is to realize that the shit that falls on you is fertilizer."
~Ron Mangravite as quoted in The Not So Big Life

Quite the quote isn't it? This is one of the books I received as a Christmas present. It has end of the chapter exercises but, true to form, I have been skipping those to simply read the book. Even if I never do the exercises it's helped me gain some perspective about my current job situation. I am filling in for a maternity leave. I signed a one year contract. I have no idea if the person I am filling in for is coming back but everyone at work knows that I hope she doesn't. I love my job. I feel like it's been tailor made for me. This morning though, as I read along in the above book, I grasped that if the contract does indeed come to an end that there is a world of possibilities waiting for me. A real good reminder that I don't know what's best for me and there is Someone who does whom I can trust. Of course, I will feel disappointed if my job ends. I will cry. I will miss those I work with, too. But for this morning at least, I know even if it feels like it, that it won't be the end of the world.

I'd lost sight of that for a good long while.

6 comments:

Kathy M. said...

Great quote. Thanks for sharing it.

Enchanted Oak said...

Being open to the plans of your Someone is a very place to be. In the book of Jeremiah, God says, "For I know the plans I have you, plans for good and not for ill, to give you a future and a hope."
Amen to your future!

Unknown said...

What a great quote and an amazing blog post, so true that there are so many opportunities out there for us...when we're open to them...
hugs
gabi

Peter said...

It's just that at the time it lands on you, fertilizer feels like shit.

Daisy said...

Amen, sistah. :)

MIch

annieoddflower said...

Love the quote, although I tend to have the same problem as Black Pete!

Great post, Hope! One that I needed to hear.