Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Skillful Master

"The cruel chisel destroys a stone with each cut. But what the stone suffers by repeated blows is no less than the shape the mason is making of it. And should a poor stone be asked, "What is happening to you?" it might reply, "Don’t ask me. All I know is that for my part there is nothing for me to know or do, only to remain steady under the hand of my master and to love him and suffer him to work out my destiny. It is for him to know how to achieve this. I know neither what he is doing nor why. I only know that he is doing what is best and most perfect, and I suffer each cut of the chisel as though it were the best thing for me, even though, to tell the truth, each one is my idea of ruin, destruction and defacement. But, ignoring all this, I rest contented with the present moment. Thinking only of my duty to it, I submit to the work of the skillful master without caring to know what it is."
~ Jean Pierre de Caussade in The Sacrament of the Present Moment

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yowza, good to bear this in mind! Feels pretty accurate except for the part "suffer each cut of the chisel as though it were the best thing for me"; not sure if I'm doing that, certainly not without a very conscious effort.

Good stuff, Hope. Like being handed a bottle of water in a marathon.

Mich