Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Flipping Pages

Tagged by Steve to complete Dr. Benton Quest's meme.

Here are the rules:

Step One – pull out a book on the book shelf.
Step Two – go to page 123.
Step Three – read and write out the 5th sentence.
Step Four – tag 5 more people.

Unlike Steve, who looked in 8 books, I looked in nearly 3 times that many. Darn. I have many books with scads of lines highlighted and not one of them was on page 123, line 5. So here is my excerpt from By Way of Grace by Paula Huston:
"We are in the presence of God, and like human lovers who 'are content, sometimes, with being near or within sight of the person they love without speaking to her, and without even distinctly thinking of her,' we simply rest in God's nearness."

And then here are several of my favourite books with quotes from page 123, just not on line 5. And yes, Steve, I did want to cheat, badly.

"But the God of the impossible won't ignore my cry." ~ Carlo Carretto in Letters from the Desert

"Most of us are living a life of addiction to our past - its mistakes and the guilt we carry - or to a future that drives us like a tyrant." ~ Fr. Francis Stroud, S.J. in Praying Naked: the spirituality of Anthony de Mello

"Gratitude makes us whole, not stuff" ~ Earnie Larsen in Destination Joy

"There is a kind of knowing, a kind of powerful conviction, that comes from spiritual emptiness." ` Richard Rohr in Everything Belongs.

Tagging whoever wants to play along.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I tried not cheating, closed my eyes and reached for the first book I grabbed off the shelf. It turned out to be some old book on orchestration and here's what the 5th sentence on page 123 had to say (hold on to your hat, it's a doozie):

"Although it is stronger in the lower register than the flute, it must still be lightly accompanied to be heard."

Hey. How's that for some words of wisdom..... okay, fine, next time I'll cheat. ;)

Mich

Jim said...

Boy, do I love that first quote! I've only done memes in the past when hog-tied and force-fed the request; but yo do have me wondering what treasures might lie at such location within my own library...

Thanks for the link in your previous post. Looks like an interesting site....

Peter said...

Tagged...

Pru said...

Tagged as well...can't wait to see what wisdom I find.