Saturday, February 18, 2023

Peace

I’ve often told people that my siblings and I are great in a crisis but don’t expect us to make our bed every day. When our parents passed away  (7 months apart) we each used our strengths to get tasks done. While I very much like the quotidian things of life, that hasn’t translated into an orderly house.   

In the past few months I’ve experienced a growing sense of settledness. When people ask me how I am, it’s a repeated surprise to me, that I can truthfully say that I am doing good. After decades of not being able to, it feels strange to check within and find some peace and contentment regardless of whether life is ticking along according to my preferred plan. 

For all those years I was unable to look any deeper than whatever circumstances were swirling around me. Resilience was foreign to me. I couldn’t be okay because of this, that, or the other thing. Years of the right kind of therapy have made the difference. 

Peace, whether it’s fleeting or not, feels not like boredom these days, but such a relief. 


~ Hope

No comments: