Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pass The Potatoes Please

Yesterday my mother-in-law and I worked side by side in the garden, harvesting a bountiful crop of potatoes. Some of those spuds were pretty darn big. I cut up four potatoes for supper and they filled my dutch oven to the brim. The energizer bunny tried to help dig the potatoes although all she dug up was more dirt. She'd get right in the hole and work as if she was digging to China.

I find it very comforting to work alongside another woman, especially when it is multi generational. My favourite memory from when my mom and sisters came to visit last month was the time we spent working together in my kitchen getting supper ready. Maybe I'm romanticizing the way things were when several generations of women worked side by side doing all kinds of everyday tasks. Perhaps I miss it because I've been the only female in the house for quite a few years already. Whatever it is, I envision being surrounded by an invisible group of women when I work alongside another woman.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I'll never forget the first time I had thanksgiving and my sister-in-law was going to take the turkey out of the oven and cut it in half and put it in the broiler because it was not ready on time. I blew a gasket and screamed: "everybody get the hell out of my kitchen!" Ah yes, those were the days! LOL