Monday, October 02, 2006

To The Best Of Our Ability

When dearest one brought me to this part of the country nearly 25 years ago I remember asking him, "Where's civilization?" We were driving along a two lane highway with trees hugging both ditches. As far as the eye could see there were trees - that part of the country uninhabited by people.

That stretch of highway is still there - upgraded to a four lane highway most of the way - but still the trees reach to the horizon.

This past weekend, after my AA meeting, I wished I didn't live so far away from 'civilization'. With a 150km round trip to get to a meeting it takes more than wishful thinking to get there every week. I feel like I am sponge soaking up so much goodness when I go to a meeting. If I lived closer to meetings I would take in more than one a week.

At my meeting this past Saturday I heard, I mean truly 'heard', a woman talk about working the steps to the best of our abililty. And it struck me that if I looked at all of my life in that vein I would take the pressure off myself to be somewhere other than where I am on the journey. I need reminding of truth like that. Then this morning I read Jim's comment and knew that he was essentially telling me the same thing. Here is his comment in case you missed it.

"Hope, none of us walk on water. Some would preach it like the entrance of Christ suddenly turns us into super saints who have it all together. Always, it is a journey. The "transforming of our mind" (Rom 12:1-2) is an on-going process that we attempt with Him. What you ask yourself is: Have I not come a distance from where I was? Does His presence speak to me in the journey?...If all you have is an attempt to change yourself, the Bible asks in Jeremiah: "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may you also do good that are accustomed to do evil". Indeed, the difference in us is "only" Christ "in" us; and that relationship we forge with Him brings unto us strength, patience, peace, grace, all that He is............"
jim Homepage 10.01.06 - 8:14 am #

No comments: