Saturday, March 02, 2013

Resting

I spent several hours on the phone yesterday with a woman who's been pivotal in my conversion journey, someone who has travelled alongside me for over 25 years.

The night before I remembered this friend and how last summer she'd explained a long absence from my life during a most difficult time of her own. She told me that everything she'd believed had been turned upside down and she'd had no words. Ah, I thought, someone who knows what it's like to be rendered mute.

I could barely get the words out through my tears yesterday as I told her I needed her to tell me if the upside downness ends.

I'm pretty sure that that conversation did more for me than any professional help ever will. What a relief to hear someone say that the place I find myself in is not something to fix, but a place to rest in, in order that the work being done in the depths of me can be done.

3 comments:

Catholic Alcoholic said...

That's a good way to look at it. Resting in the uncomfortability of life rather than fighting it.

Akannie said...

Ahhhh...I feel as if a great work is going on in me too, and I've not a clue as to how to act sometimes.

I go from scared to knowing to sad to euphoric...and I feel the changes so vividly...transistions are not always the most comfortable places, that's for sure.

Grace-WorkinProgress said...

Life is strange and can you lead to places you don't want to go. In my own journey I finally reached ground zero and was speechless. I couldn't take about it anymore and lived mostly in silence. It ended the dark times just about the time I accepted it as permanent.