Saturday, January 08, 2011

Trade Offs

I traded my morning Internet time for meditation this week. Spending twenty minutes in centering prayer is one of the best things I can do for my overall health. I've been resisting it for a long while because my ego tends to take a shit kicking whenever I maintain it as a regular practice.

Getting back into a routine this week after several weeks off for the holidays has felt like a brutal adjustment. It doesn't escape me that it's also the luxury of having a job with paid vacation. I feel like I have a tenuous hold on my spoon supply at the moment so my bedtime this week was the same as it was 40 years ago. You know you're tired when the evening news comes on and you feel as tired as if it was the late night news.

I'm doing what I can these days to maintain my equilibrium. There was a bit there before Christmas when my spoon supply was so depleted I questioned whether I'd be able to keep working. All my energy at the moment is going into staying well.

I work with a bunch of keen eyed health professionals. One of which told me this week that before Christmas I looked dreadful. Another who said that even if I still looked tired at least I looked rested. Which is the same as saying yes, they are still deep circles under my eyes but the rest of my body doesn't appear to be dragging as well.

I've made a few small adjustments this week to help. As tired as I am it still is a real benefit to me to go for a walk every day. Doing so meant paying no heed to the whining and moaning going on in my head as we pulled into the yard every day after work about how tired I was. I can do a mean immitation of a tired, cranky six year old on demand.

Instead I changed into warmer clothes and headed out on my walking trail, flashlight in hand and walked. It did me good. Seeing all those tracks of moose, deer, mice and birds sharing my trail made me smile.

Once, seveal years ago, after my health had rebounded for the better, dearest one looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and asked, "Why are you doing this?" I was all bundled up on a -25C day to go for a walk and I looked at him and said, "because I can. I do it because I'm grateful I have the ability to go for a walk. I don't want to take it for granted."

I didn't have to say anymore. We both could remember, rather vividly, the days when lifting one foot off the ground took more energy than I could muster. I had a few scary days there before Christmas when it felt like I was headed right back to those days.

So today the trade off is a bit of a walk for a few spoons. I'm grateful it's even an option.




Photo Credit

8 comments:

Jim said...

Good for you! The weather here never gets as drastic as where you are, but it does have this old man returned to his treadmill. I miss the half-hour or so of just being "out there".....

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this Hope and in turn, making me fell truly grateful as well as inspired. Now I will put on some warm clothes and take my doggy for that walk she has been begging for. She is snow dog, this is her time of year! Thanks again, and dont forget that someone way down here in Ohio loves you <3

Val said...

Don't know why, but this post just made me want to hug you and say, "I love you, Hope!" So I am.

Daisy said...

As always Hope, you are my hero. I've been telling myself to get out there and go walking but I get so easily distracted when it means braving the cold. It is definitely worth it though so tomorrow, come hell or high water, I'm going!

Mich

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

(((HUGS))))

So feeling this spoon depleted thing.

Time to take some action *actually taking that REAL time to center in God" different than the maintenance plan I have cause the results are self-evident.

Over analysis of defects can be a great deficit, I almost forget that God is in charge of things in me... good and bad... and that I gave it to Him to take care of.

Peter said...

As long as you aren't pushing up daisies, so to speak, gratitude is a sensible response, if not an easy one.

Anonymous said...

You are so inspiring. I'm embarrassed at how much of a whiner I can be when I read about your struggles

daisymarie said...

Noow I'm pondering how I can add a walk to my daily routine.