Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ten Things

I need some kind of topic and this will have to do. If you have any questions for me that would be suitable for the blog leave them in the comments and I'll answer them in a future post! I am out of ideas!






Ten things about me:

1. If it was socially acceptable to wear pjs everywhere, I would. I most often clean house in my pajamas. Which explains why, when my MIL and FIL knocked on my door yesterday afternoon, I was still in mine. I had just finished cleaning house and was trying to decide between a shower and some computer time. Had I chosen shower I would have been much more presentable.

2. Making commitments to sit on boards and committees is not on my fun list. Even so I've been on several and am just wrapping one of those up this weekend. The amount of internal and external whining I am doing, reminding myself just how glad I am to be done, done, is embarrassing.

3. While memorizing numbers comes easy to me, keeping track of money makes my anxiety level rise. But I bit the bullet this morning and spent the time it took to record the last two weeks worth of purchases, bills paid, etc. into the spread sheet. I am always so relieved when it's done. Makes me think of a line by M. Scott Peck about the greater amount of energy it takes to avoid doing an unpleasant task than it does to just do it. So true.

4. I used to have the book that thought came from but who knows where it is now. I have bought more books than any other single item in my lifetime. Even when I was a poor college student I had a shelf of books. I am much pickier now about the books I shell out money for. I go into bookstores with a pen and paper and then order books I think I might like from the library. Rarely do I then buy a copy for my personal library. My dad says that makes me his daughter.

5. My arms are covered in freckles. I have never been embarrassed by freckles. They really aren't that common. Just me and my dad have them in my family of origin. I passed them on, too.

6. I strongly dislike being a passenger in any vehicle unless it's dearest one driving. Otherwise I am a bundle of nerves the whole trip. That's not too much of an exaggeration either. Just ask my kids. One of them had a driving instructor who told them I was banned from being in the vehicle while they were learning how to drive. The other two probably wish I had been.

7. I do like road trips though. I've been on the go far too much lately so it doesn't appeal to me at the moment. I am going out of town for work this week though and then making a longer road trip early next month. That one has a bonus of seeing a dog and a girl at least!

8. I find exercise a chore. I am always glad when I'm finished, glad I did it. My two favourites are walking and yoga. I used to play sports when I was younger. My mom put up with a gazillion basketball shots hitting the outside of the house right above where she sat inside in the living room, for years. I have no idea how she didn't scream out the window at me to stop. But she never did. That is medal worthy. Especially during PMS. When I used to get that I couldn't even tolerate the noise of cutlery scraping on plates at the dinner table. It sounded so loud. Basketballs would have sent me around the bend.

9. There were 41 robins on the lawn the other day. I was in town so I missed them. I grew up in a bird watching house and paid little attention to it. I regret that now. I have a 40 year old bird book from my grandma that sits on a shelf in my living room. The basics I can identify but the difference between this and that sparrow? Not a chance.

10. With dearest one being laid up this week I am finding out we share many more of the household tasks than I'd realized. It's taken one of us out for the count for me to see that. That is such a long ways from where we started and something I quite like. I think he does, too. After all, it means his socks don't go missing in the laundry any more.





Photo Credit

4 comments:

CiCi said...

Your calling your dearest one "dearest one" makes my heart sing. I so love to hear of other people saying nice things about the people they love. And your accepting that he does more around to help out is also nice. Gosh, I think you and your dearest one have a good thing going and it is fun to hear about it.

Emily J. said...

Fun! Glad to hear your husband is recovering well. I'm realizing now my husband is back that I suddenly have a lot more time now that I don't have to do all the cooking, washing, sorting, etc. And I'm trying to remember to tell him regularly how grateful I am, so he keeps it up!

I can't find a link right now, but your earlier post with the "Good day" link and this one reminded me that there is a video a middle school did that changes those lyrics to "this book's going to be a good good book." Love it!

Pru said...

I like reading these lists. It reminds me of all the things we have in common - I'm in my pjs as I read this, I totally wish you'd been banned from my learning-to-drive experiences, and I also enjoy road trips.

As you are your father's daughter so I am his granddaughter - I probably take it one step further by saving all the books up for birthday and Christmas lists!

I like freckles too, although I hardly have any of my own. I've never understood why people hate them so...they're the marks where angels kissed you before you were born.

Dog first, girl second? Nice. ;)

Enchanted Oak said...

I love finding out more about the people I enjoy. What you chose to talk about, and what you had to say about them, was lots of fun. I have the inherited bird book and that same sort of library. My dearest and your dearest are two peas in a pod. And like you I have to work too hard avoiding unpleasant chores, so much better just to get them over with.
Cheers!