Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Prayers From The Heart

It's almost midnight. What a long, long day. I am hoping the phone will not ring before morning. My friend is definitely in the last stages of life here on earth. Her responses to us were limited to one question from us - one word reply from her and then nothing for a long time. She breathes for 40 seconds and then breathes nothing for up to 35 seconds. Just one thing stayed the same....

We prayed the rosary tonight and when we started the Lord's prayer my friend said the whole prayer outloud with us. And then she said nearly the whole 5 decades of the rosary too. The tears just flowed down my face as I heard her pray, "Pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death. Amen" She had been trying to raise her rosary to her lips and then when we made the sign of the cross she tried to raise her arm and we realized she had been trying to make the sign of the cross all day too.

It was just the most bizarre and holy time - to see someone who had no breath and hardly any speech today - literally come to life when we started to pray. I don't think I will ever forget that sight.

No comments: