Saturday, March 12, 2005

Questions Answered (Almost)

This is a blog game. I found it on Matt's site.

Here's how it works:

I answer the questions from my 'interview' here.

Matt gave me the questions. Then if you want to play you do this:

1. The first five commenter to type INTERVIEW ME in the comments.

2. I will respond by asking you five questions (not the same as you see here).

3. You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

OK.. Here are the answers and questions from My Interview.

I lucked out and got 6 questions!


I. Do you have a favorite family vacation that you remember?

I am really grateful for the family vacations I had as a kid. When I asked my mom how we afforded them (after I was a mom myself) she told me that they just saved my dad's holiday pay. I know that money could have been used so many other places and then some. So to have spent it on holidays makes it extra special.

My favourite would have been the year we went to Stanley Park in Vancouver, BC. We went other places this holiday but Stanley Park was the highlight for me. We went on this holiday with my cousins and as a bonus each of us got 5 bucks a day spending money(this was just about 30 years ago)and that felt like we had won the lottery. I remember going on horse back rides and playing on a lot of beaches. The best part was that my parents were usually happy on holidays. No fighting. No getting drunk. We were left to do as we pleased - within reason. I had just turned 14 before this holiday and it was the summer that my husband and I started writing to each other as penpals.

II. Do your children plan to escape you or remain within reach?

When my kids were little they used to talk about how they would all build houses in our back yard when they grew up so that their kids could come visit grandma and grandpa whenever they wanted.

Not too long ago my 21 year old daughter and I were talking and she told me that she knew it would not be healthy for her to live in the same yard as me. Reality bites.

I hope they stay within a distance that lets me be an active grandma in their kids' lives. The reality that they will live in the same community is remote as the job opportunities are few. My guess is that one out of the three will stay in the vicinity at least. They want to escape me as far as wanting to have their own life without me sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong but hopefully that won't mean they have to move far away to accomplish it.

III. What is the most beautiful thing about living in Canada?

How to answer this one when I have only ever lived here? The vastness of the country is beautiful. The enormity of the sky. The freedom to live as we choose. And I am still a fan of universal health care even if it has meant long waiting lists and havoc in our lives as a result at times.

III. Good friends are hard to come by. Who is your longest standing friend?

Hmmm. My sister Deb. There is a 6 year age difference between us and we didnt become close until after we both became mothers but we share a long history. Then comes my friend Liz from College.

IV. Pick a figure from history. You get to meet this person for lunch.

This means I should know history right? The urge to sound knowledgeable and find some impressive figure through a google search is great. I am going to pass on this question because I will fake it all the way through it if I try to answer.


V. What would the discussion include?

However, whoever it would be I would want to talk about the journey of life. What it means to be human and how to live in the tension that results.

No comments: